Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Late is better than never.....This week's recipes.


I know I am so late with this but here are the recipes for my menu this week.  Also I will be putting up my grocery list tomorrow. I got off track with my menu this week because my husband and I had a date night and ate at In and Out Burger and then my in laws came over for Sunday dinner and brought dinner with them......so I am two meals behind this week.



Baked Ziti, Crescent Rolls, Corn


1/2 lb ground beef, browned with chopped onion and seasoned with salt and pepper
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 can Hunt's Garlic and Herb flavored spaghetti sauce
1/4 box of Ronzoni whole grain penne pasta, cooked and drained
3/4 small container of cottage cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated

In the bottom of a medium casserole dish (I LOVE my Corningware French White set that my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas) mix the cottage cheese, browned ground beef, garlic and cooked penne. Add about 3/4 of a can of spaghetti sauceto the mix (or if you like yours saucier then you can add the whole can. I saved the rest of my sauce for meatloaf later in the week.) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the top with grated mozzarella cheese (I will admit I forgot to buy mozzarella cheese this week so I just didn't put anything on top and it was still good.) Bake the ziti at 350F for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sides of the casserole are bubbly.



Meatloaf Italian Style, Mashed Potatoes, steamed broccoli with lemon
I don't actually have a recipe for this so I will just try to do the best that I can.

1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 egg
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup spaghetti sauce (I use Hunts Garlic and Herb)
salt and pepper

In a large bowl, mix ground beef, onion, egg, garlic, 1/2 cup bread crumbs and salt and pepper. Add 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce. Mix welland form into loaf. Transfer loaf to pan and spread the remaining sauce on top. I used the rest of my spaghetti sauce from the ziti the other night. Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes or until meat thermometer says it's reached the proper temperature.  

Chicken Nuggets, Roasted Potato Wedges, Peas

Chicken Nuggets:
Thse are so good and my family loves them!

20 oz chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks
flour
milk
seasoned bread crumbs (or other seasoning, see recipe below)
oil



To do this recipe I use two pie plates. In one I put flour (enough to coat the bottom of the pan) and my seasoning. You could use anything to season the flour: a little salt and pepper, flavored bread crumbs (Progresso makes a lot of different flavors of bread crumbs), parmesan cheese and I have even used part of a packet of McCormick's buffalo wing seasoning and then after the nuggets were cooked I tossed them in some wing sauce.  (If you have kids you may want to make a second batch of a different flavor.) In the second pie plate I coat the bottom of the plate with some milk. I dip the chicken into the milk and then into the seasoning. Then REPEAT. If you only dip the chicken once the coating comes right off, but with the double dip method you get a yummy crispy coating.  Put your coated chicken on a plate. Heat the oil in your biggest skillet and add the chicken. Be careful not to crowd the pan. I usually have to do several batches. Put your chicken on a baking sheet in a warm oven to keep warm while you are cooking other bathes.


Roasted Potato Wedges:

4-6 Russet baking potatoes
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 450F. In a small bowl combine oil, salt and pepper (you could add other seasonings as well: parmesan cheese, paprika, rosemary...whatever you feel like). Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/2 inch strips (I like to keep the skin on because it has more fiber and vitamins with the skin on). Toss potatoes in oil mixture and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until tender. Turn potatoes once while baking.

Bacon, Eggs, Hashbrowns, Toast, Sausage links

The only thing special that we do here is Josh puts salt and pepper and garlic powder in the scrambled eggs. They are really yummy. 

Beef Stir-Fry and Rice

I don't have a great recipe for stir-fry, we're still trying to perfect that one. I just threw a bunch of stuff in with some stir-fry beef (soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, fresh grated ginger and rice vinegar) and then let it cook until the meat was cooked through. Then I add a bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables and cooked it for 5 minutes longer. Serve over rice.

Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
This is one of my favorite soups so I was very happy to find this copy cat recipe.

3 Tbs olive oil
1 cup minced onion (about 1 small onion)
1/2 cup chopped zuccini
1/2 cup frozen italian green beans (just use french cut if you can't find Italian)
1/4 cup minced celery (about 1/2 stalk)
4 tsp minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
4 cups vegetable broth (DO NOT USE CHICKEN BROTH!)
2 (15oz) cans red kidney beans, drained
2 (15oz) cans small white beans (or Great Northern), drained
1 (14oz can diced tomatoes (I like the Western Family Italian style)
1/2 cup carrot, shredded
2 Tbs parsley
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried thyme
3 cups hot water
4 cups baby spinach
1/2 cup small shell pasta

Heat oil in large soup pot of medium heat. Saute oinio, celery, garlic, green beans and zucchini for 5 minutes, until oinions turn translucent. Add brother, drained tomatoes, beans, carrots, hot water and spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add spinach and pasta. Cook for 20 minutes until pasta is done. This soup is twice as good the next day.  So you could make it the night before you need it and reheat it on the stove the next night.

Note: I prefer to make the following changes. 1(15oz) can of great northern beans, 2 (14oz) cans of diced tomatoes.

Roasted Pork Tenderloin, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Peas and Corn

Ok this is so easy. At the grocery store they have McCormick's Pork Roast seasoning packet and bag. You just follow the directions and cook the roast in the bag (I think it only takes a few hours to cook). This was the best pork roast. It was so yummy and moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment